This morning I started my day off (at 2:00pm :) ) by doing what I should do every day...reading my Bible and doing a little devotion by Charles Spurgeon (which can be read here ). This morning my Bible reading was in Luke 1 which just talked about the angel coming to tell Elizabeth and Mary that they would be having sons. I have read this passage many times, but today Mary's faith was even more evident and inspiring to me! (Perhaps because of the place I am in my life right now!) So, for those of you who don't know, the angel comes and tells Elizabeth's husband that they're going to have a baby and he does not believe it because Elizabeth is so old. Anyway, when the angel Gabriel goes to tell Mary that she will have Jesus, apart from asking how she will have a baby because she is a virgin, the only thing that Mary says is "I am the Lord's servant, and I am willing to accept whatever he wants. May everything you have said come true."
Umm hello, Mary...your faith is astonishing! Notice how she didn't ask many questions, she didn't start freaking out or worrying about how people were going to treat her or what Joseph was going to think of her, about how young or incapable she felt, or anything! Actually, when she talks to Elizabeth a little later in the chapter she tells her this:
“Oh, how my soul praises the Lord.
How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!
For he took notice of his lowly servant girl,
and from now on all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One is holy,
and he has done great things for me.
He shows mercy from generation to generation
to all who fear him.
His mighty arm has done tremendous things!
He has scattered the proud and haughty ones.
He has brought down princes from their thrones
and exalted the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things
and sent the rich away with empty hands.
He has helped his servant Israel
and remembered to be merciful.
For he made this promise to our ancestors,
to Abraham and his children forever.”
I love how she's so excited and feels so blessed almost immediately upon being told she is pregnant! How I desire faith like Mary's! Mary is blessed for believing that God will do what he says! He has promised to take care of us and in His word it says that he came to give us life to the fullest, but for some stupid reason, I still worry and doubt so much!
Next time I’m faced with a challenge or an unknown, I pray to respond as Mary did:
“I am the Lord’s servant, and I am willing to accept whatever he wants…”
What a beautiful little post...it's so true.
ReplyDeleteAnd look at you! With a cute background and music and stuff...I need to devote some more time to mine...it's pretty lame right now. You've always been quite the techie though. Okay okay sorry.