"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content."
As I began thinking about it, there are quite a few things that I am not content with in my life. I would love to have a job, a house, be with my friends, etc.
The words in Philippians 4:11 show us that contentment is not something that just occurs naturally. It is natural for man to be discontent, and to complain. If we want contentment, we have to foster it. Paul says, "...I have learned...to be content." Which basically seems like he didn't know contentment at one time. He had to continually work at it. When he could finally say "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content.", he was and old man stuck in prison! Contentment is something we have to gradually work at.
So, although i'm honestly not the most content person right now, I am working on it. It's crazy to think about how blessed I am, and so sad to think that most of the time I take my blessings for granted. Hopefully one day I can say what Paul said and really be content! I'm just thankful that God continues to be merciful!
xo,
gal
Great stuff Galilee, I am with you girl. I think our culture is so focused on bigger and better, becoming successful and living the American dream. It is a daily struggle of mine to put aside that unrealistic self centered world and grab a hold of what is so much better. I should be beyond grateful for all that God has done, and I too have my days of discontentment.
ReplyDelete