Monday, June 13, 2011

An orphan no longer!

Today I got to meet my baby!!! What? You didn't know I was pregnant? Oh goodness. I wasn't. I am sponsoring a little boy through a wonderful ministry called Mattaw Children's Village. It's located in a small village outside of Kitale, Kenya! Did you know there are more than 1.9 million orphans in the country of Kenya alone? Makes me sick. I can't even think about it.


Let me just tell you a little about this ministry that I fell in love with before you meet my baby boy! Mattaw is still a semi-small ministry. Some of you may know Kevin Kirkland (Katalyst Ministries--he has spoken at the beloved Camp Zephyr for several summers)...his ministry partnered with the Imagine Network to help start Mattaw. 
Are you just so super curious to know why the Village is named Mattaw? I was! The word "mattaw" is the English spelling of the Hebrew word found in Isaiah 61:3 for a "planting" or a "garden."

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’S favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting (mattaw) of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations. Isaiah 61:1-4

The mission of Mattaw is simply the commission given by Jesus. They exist to rescue the orphaned and broken children of Africa and to see their eternal lives redeemed by the sacrifice of Jesus, and to train them to be strong righteous disciples of King Jesus that they might rebuild their nation. Their ministry to the orphaned children of Kenya is about much more than just feeding and clothing them, it is about intentionally training them to be a garden, a mattaw, for the display of the Lord. (I just plagiarized that from their website.)

I think I cried when I read that the first time...and second time. And maybe just now again. It is awesome. What a wonderful ministry, right?!!! Not to mention, the family that is over there running it is so super cute. 
Bud, Kimberly, Elisha and Claire
{I told you. They are so cute!}

Oh how I would LOVE to go join them.

Now for the best part!!!! It's time for you to meet my angel. 
{Ohhhh. Ohhh. Ohhh. I'm in love.}

His name is Peter Makudi and he is 6 years old....and he is perfect! Doesn't that smile just make your heart completely melt? The info I got on him today said that he is very quiet and polite, but loves to run around and play. His favorite food is chapati (like a tortilla) and he loves chicken. His favorite sport is soccer and when he grows up he wants to be a mechanic. I could not be more in love with this sweet boy. The cool thing about sponsoring through Mattaw is that it is so small that it's very possible for me to go see him! I'm saving money, and making plans for next summer! I'm already so excited I might not be able to sleep :) Keep my sweet Peter in your prayers!

On the bottom of the letter that I got about Peter it says,
"An orphan no longer and loved by the King!" 
I'm so thankful.


2 comments:

  1. Oh. I love him! Hello Peter! I also love those Huffmans. I guess I will go with you over there next year. I'm pretty much afraid that I won't come back though. Might be a problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still love this post. And Peter. Proud of you Gallery! :)

    ReplyDelete